Why Wash & Polish
Reduce drag and fuel consumption with our effective expert technical wash and polish.
Dirt and moisture influence aircraft weight (OEW), increasing on average by 0.1% to 0.2% per year, levelling off around 1% after 5 to 10 years.
- Fuel savings : 1-2% reduction of aircraft drag as a consequence of regular washing and polishing.
- Savings on paint cost through regular washing and polishing.
- Refurbishment of deteriorated paint, potentially increasing life cycle by 12 months.
Aircraft Drag Figures from Boeing Aircraft Corporation showing the effect of a 1% Drag Increase In Terms Of Gallons Per Year:
|Aircraft||Increase in annual fuel consumption (gallons per year)|
In order for aircraft washing and polishing to reduce drag, the correct zones need to be targeted to ensure maximum effectiveness:
Traditional washing and polishing is costly and time consuming. It requires:
- Large amounts of water
- Large amounts of chemicals
- Use of specifically built and designated wash stands – towing the aircraft to the stand & rental of the wash bay
- Surface water contamination through cadmium releases and the use of chemicals
- The restrictions on the use of water or the water supply
Alpha Bravo’s Technical Wash and Polish Includes:
Added benefits of Alpha-Bravo’s Expertise & Experience
As our experienced engineers & technicians work on your aircraft they can also carry out unscheduled aerodynamic visual inspections.
Surface misrigging is a source of unnecessary fuel consumption and aircraft damage. As an example, a spoiler extended by 15mm over a 1 meter spanwise lengths could cost up to $10000 per year in fuel (according to Airbus financial controllers). Full reporting can easily be made and contact with maintenance engineers is part of the approach.